Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Where Words Fail, Music Speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen

Kim over at www.kimnlanceadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
inspired this post! She wrote out the lyrics to 'Somewhere Out There' from An American Tale, and talked about how she listened to this song during The Wait for their first son; and how these drippy oozing songs can bring any adoptive mom in waiting to tears! My song, when we were waiting for Bek, was Only Time, by Enya. Kim I have to say yours might be sappier than mine, but only by a smidge!
This song, with it's happy sad haunting sounds that only Enya can produce, gave me comfort and strength. It brought me to tears, which were sometimes the happy kind, and sometimes not. The ones that flowed happily were because we'd made it this far, to this place, after the nightmare of infertility. The time that led up to this, I'd felt, all served a purpose to bring us to that place, the place that was now called The Wait. It all finally made sense. The sad tears were for the thoughts of a child alone in an orphanage, waiting for his mommy and daddy. When Enya sang Who can say when the roads meet,
That love might be ,in your heart? and who can say when the day sleeps, and the night keeps all your heart? Night keeps all your heart.....

I just about lost it every time! I thought of him alone, in the dark, waiting. And wondering what his reaction to us would be when we finally met. Oh jeez I'm getting all blubbered up just thinking about it all over again. Thanks Kim.
For your listening or reading pleasure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbCEQHfDvWk

Who can say where the road goes,
Where the day flows, only time?
And who can say if your love grows,
As your hearth chose, only time?

Who can say why your heart sights,
As your live flies, only time?
And who can say why your heart cries
when your love lies, only time?

Who can say when the roads meet,
That love might be ,in your heart?
and who can say when the day sleeps,
and the night keeps all your heart?
Night keeps all your heart.....

Who can say if your love groves,
As your heart chose, only time?
And who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows, only time?

Who knows? Only time

4 comments:

Amy and Corey said...

Dang it, Jen!! I just stopped wiping my eyes from Kim's blog. Then I came over here, and I'm all weepy AGAIN. Its just not a good day for mascara. I'm off to I-tunes to download some Fievel and Enya.

Brent, Buffy & Cameron DeWitt said...

We heard a Dixie Chicks song on WKSU's Folk Alley about 2 weeks before we left for Kaz and that inspired me to get their "Long Way Round" album literally a day or two before we left. Mind you, I'm not a country listener, so this was a big risk. The album was fabulous! I sing along to just about every song on it.
What was more fabulous was that I found the song "Lullaby" on it which made me cry when I heard it thinking about our baby boy. And in those first few months, I would sing it to him as he rocked to sleep in my arms.

"Lullaby" - Dixie Chicks
They didn't have you where I come from
Never knew the best was yet to come
Life began when I saw your face
And I hear your laugh like a serenade

How long do you want to be loved?
Is forever enough, is forever enough?
How long do you want to be loved?
Is forever enough?
'Cause I'm never, never giving you up

I slip in bed when you're asleep
To hold you close and feel your breath on me
Tomorrow there'll be so much to do
So tonight I'll drift in a dream with you

How long do you want to be loved?
Is forever enough, is forever enough?
How long do you want to be loved?
Is forever enough?
'Cause I'm never, never giving you up

As you wander through this troubled world
In search of all things beautiful
You can close your eyes when you're miles away
And hear my voice like a serenade

How long do you want to be loved?
Is forever enough, is forever enough?
How long do you want to be loved?
Is forever enough?
'Cause I'm never, never giving you up

How long do you want to be loved?
Is forever enough, is forever enough?
How long do you want to be loved?
Is forever enough?
'Cause I'm never, never giving you up
Is forever enough?
'Cause I'm never, never giving you up

Brent, Buffy & Cameron DeWitt said...

AND, "So Hard" from that album was also relateable.

...It's so hard when it doesn't come easy, it's so hard when it doesn't come fast...

Now, I've got to go queue up that album so I can sing along today.

Jen, Brad and Bek said...

amy, sorry!! maybe from here on in we should go with waterproof since we're all clearly suffering from pre adoption hormones!!
buffy, great song!! thanks for posting the lyrics, just beautiful!