Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Friend Food

Did you ever discover or re-discover a food and suddenly you think about it all the time, the things you could make with it, what else it would be good with, how many different ways you could eat it? I know this sounds a little bit like obsession, and by some standards it might be or mark me as an "emotional eater", but I just KNOW there must be fellow foodies out there who know what I'm talkin about!
My recent obsession is smoked gouda cheese. It's smoke-y (well, duuhh), so when used in certain dishes it adds a whole other layer, it melts fairly well, AND it's relatively inexpensive. Right now, as I type, with my 3 fingers on each hand so as to not completely grease up my keyboard, I am enjoying a Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese with Sweet & Tangy spread. If you, like me, are a lover of all things between bread and grilled with cheese, please, try the following concoction:
Sweet/Tangy Spread:
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
mix, taste & adjust to your sweet/tangy desire
Rye Bread
Smoked Gouda Cheese
Red onion, raw, thinly sliced
Tomato, raw slices or sun dried
Baby spinach, arugula, chopped romaine, any sort of green for vegetal goodness/texture
Lay two slices out on a plate, spread each side w/ sauce. Lay 4-5 slices of smoked gouda, about a 1/4 inch slice.
Layer rest of ingredients on top. Sprinkle w/ s&p. Heat large pan, drizzle 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil, use a spatula and spread the oil around, put both slices in, grill for 2 mins or so, put the slices together. Enjoy w/ homemade fries or your favorite potato chips. Yuuummmm. Something about the combination of the smokiness, the soury maltness of the rye bread, the hint of sweetness int he sauce and the twang of the onion make me very happy.
Try it and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Kim and Lance said...

Jen, once again... we are soul sistas! I love, love, LOVE smoked Gouda and have a fresh, shiny hunk of it in my fridge right now! That's it. You must move closer so we can bond on a daily basis.

I pink puffy "heart" you... and your cheese!

the7houks said...

Sounds amazing...I think I will try it!